Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 3: How to Look Trendier than You Actually Are

Hey ladies, it’s no secret that I try to look trendier than I actually am on a regular basis, while also fighting awkwardness and adhering to a budget.


With that in mind, here are three things I have learned:

Step 1: Wear a Chambray Shirt
The amount I have to say about the wonder that is the chambray shirt will appear on a future post. Just know one thing: chambray shirts are awesome. Today, I paired mine with a sateen ribbon belt, rose appliqués attached.

 
[Guess what happens when you wear thick tights with a corduroy skirt? 
The skirt clings to the tights all day long. Whoops.]

[I was going for my signature boy-meets-girl style by adding some feminine flair with my chambray shirt.]

Step 2: Add Tortoise Shell Glasses (Optional)*
If you can pull it off, tortoise shell glasses can add the nerdy-is-cool vibe to your outfit. Today I learned that I can’t really pull this look off. (But they were still fun.)

[Luckily, I tried these on before leaving for work, so I had time to ditch them.]


[These glasses almost make my head look small, which is rare.]

Step 3: Incorporate Props (Optional)*
If you look awesome with the glasses, you need one more item to add validity to your look. Otherwise, people aren’t sure if you’re trying to be ironic. I added some old books. Other acceptable props include the following: a teacup, preferably chipped; a phonograph; a rotary dial phone; or a velvet armchair.

[I know it’s hard to see, but I am carrying a fabric-bound copy of Little Women 
and a dictionary printed in the 1980s … which I still use.]

What I’m Wearing
Chambray Oxford Shirt (J.Crew)
Navy Corduroy Skirt (Old Navy)
Gray Tights (Target)
Mossimo Black Suede Heels (Target)
Rose Applique Ribbon Belt (J.Crew)
Floral Print Fringe Scarf (Madewell)
Tortoise Shell Glasses (Forever XXI)


*Editor's Note: Tone is sometimes hard to convey. But it's important that you know I am joking. Looking trendy is all about feeling good about your own style.

No comments:

Post a Comment