Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring for Shoes that Last 'til Winter: Three Rules for Three Shades (Part 2 of 2)

Hey chickadees! It's been awhile, but I'm ready to finish my rant on spring shoes. By now, hopefully you have noticed that you can go glitzy or casual in each shade and spend as much or as little as you like. If you're a gal like me, you're looking to be as economical as possible so you can make BIG purchases with ease, such as signing up for a marathon training program (!!!). True story. I'm officially nuts.  

1) Keep It Classic with White
If you're going to go white this year, keep in mind that you're only going to be wearing them for a few more months. So, forego the ultratrendy styles and look for something that's going to be relevant next year.

If casual is the name of your game, my recommendation is buying something in canvas, specifically the Chuck Taylor All Star from Converse. They are playful, inexpensive, and something you can throw in the washer to keep clean for next spring. 

Photo source: converse.com
  
If you want to put a bit more bling in your step, go for statement jeweled sandals. (Editor's note: When I say, "jewels," I do not mean "rhinestones." The last time I bought shoes with rhinestones, I was shopping for senior prom, and it's going to stay that way.)

Photo source: target.com


What I'm Wearing
I'm going the casual route, so I'm throwing on a pair of Chucks with my chambray shirt from J.Crew, a liberty floral skirt, and that gold watch you all know I love.


2) Hide Those Toes in Metallics and Nudes
Because these colors aren't super light or dark, metallic- and nude-colored shoes are  the best transition shoe to get you from spring to fall. (And if you live in Texas like moi, they'll probably carry you into winter, also.) With that in mind, my advice is to skip open-toed anything in these shades and purchase simple flats or pumps. You'll survive the summer, because neither flats nor heels require tights (but both look great with them when the weather is finally right).


Photo source: toryburch.com
Photo source: zappos.com
(brand: rsvp)
What I'm Wearing
Despite only being 5'0'', I gravitate toward flats, so I'd pair a pretty nude or light gold pair with my denim leggings and a breezy top for the next few months. When it gets cooler, I'll swap the top for a vintage men's oxford shirt.


3) Add Socks and Knee-Highs to Camel
How adorable are ankle socks and knee-highs? Umm, sooo adorable. Whether you purchase chunky sandals like these Chinese Laundry Bellflower sandals I featured in my last post or something close-toed like the Steve Maddens pictured below, you can't go wrong with adding colorful ankle socks or knee-highs (although I recommend solid colors only) when you're frollicking in a cute skirt that hits above the knee.


Photo source: stevemadden.com

What I'm Wearing
My plan is to pair a pair of Oxford shoes in camel with my J.Crew knee highs (any color would look fab) and a black slightly pleated skirt (that's right, chickadees, I'm pairing brown and black) with a white men's Hanes tank and a grey men's cardigan.

The "100-50-25" Where to Buy
Whew! OK, I'm exhausted. Off to run, but not in any of these shoes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment