Monday, May 17, 2010

Style Diary -- Retro-Inspired Romper Ensemble

There's something about the summertime that makes me want to run around barefoot and wear flowers in my hair. I have Rachael Yamagata's "1963" playing on repeat, and I constantly feel the urge to sit on my porch with a glass of iced tea, poured from a ceramic pitcher shaped like a watermelon that I found at a garage sale.

Maybe this ultra-casual attitude and the reminder of all things old-fashioned is behind the desire I have to mix a ton of retro-inspired styles together. But the piece that I am centering everything around is this Mossimo Supply Co. seersucker romper, because -- let's face it -- when you can wear clothes that are as comfortable as pajamas and look fabulous, why wouldn't you?

Image sources: target.com


What I'm Wearing
Out in the sun, I'm pairing this item with a colorful crochet bikini of the Ashley Paige persuasion, but I actually found mine at Old Navy for $12.50 a piece. I've never worn a crochet swimsuit before, but everytime I look at my new one, I imagine it being something my mom would have worn when she went to Hawaii in the 70s. (I have an adorable photo of her from that trip in which she's sporting heavy bangs and a knit halter.) I'm also adding a pair of Tom's Shoes in a purple Tangier print, which resembles a less-severe tie dye pattern. 

Where to Buy
target.com
Price: $19.99

What would you pair with this romper? Post a comment!

3 comments:

  1. I do love the Target Romper- I myself didn't get this particular one but like 2 others. The only thing about the super cute stuff at Target is that you have to watch out for other people having it... one Saturday in the store I saw 3 different chicks wearing the above romper! They did all look cute though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this #goodforthebaby? I am not sure a bump will fit in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, this is a good point. Because the prices are so reaosnable, it's easy to spot clothes from stores such as Target all over the place. Maybe throwing on a long gold chain necklace and/or a thin boyfriend cardigan over the romper would help distinguish a new look from all the others. :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete