Friday, May 13, 2011

Wardrobe Love: The Skinny on Jeans

OK, Blogger, that was weird, but let's move on. I feel like at some point along the way, I may fail you, too, so we'll just call it even.


Today's -- or rather, yesterday's -- Wardrobe Love question comes from one of my favorite (and super stylish!) gals at the office, Lacy, who also writes Hybrid Cars & Cottages.


Q: DnC, what's the deal with skinny jeans? Are they for everybody?
-- Lacy

A: Skinny jeans are tricky, and I certainly haven't mastered them. Some pairs are like the Bermuda Triangle of pants, where you don't know how or why your legs could appear that strange when they looked totally normal a minute ago (before you put the jeans on). Le sigh.
 
The short answer to your question, Lacy, is that I do think there is a pair out there for every gal who wants to give skinny jeans a try. However, finding that pair can be tricky, because there are a lot of factors to weigh and even more time to spend in the fitting room. 


[Where did my knees go?]

The way I see it, there are two camps on skinny jeans: the Girl Scouts, and the Boy Scouts.

I kid, I kid.

Camp #1: Skinny Jeans Are Awesome
From my experience, even if you are a huge fan of the skinny jeans concept, you have to try on every single pair. First of all, I promise they will fit totally different on you than they look on the rack. Secondly, you need to figure out how tight you want them, how long you want them, and how roomy you want them to feel around your ankles. In my experience, getting into some pairs is like pulling on pantyhose that have been coated in cement.

And once you have finally found the blessed pair, I think it's OK to spend some money on them. There are certain items that I deem too trendy for me to spend more than $20, but I don't think skinny jeans are going to fade away anytime soon.

Camp #2: Skinny Jeans? Not So Much

There are other options, such denim leggings, wide-leg jeans, and denim trousers that are just as in style (and just as likely to remain in style for quite some time). So, don't despair if it takes you several months (or maybe a year or two) to find that great pair of skinny jeans. If you find the right one, you'll know they were worth the wait. And if you don't, you have a ton of stand-by options. 

What I'm Wearing
Striped Boatneck Shirt (J.Crew)
Gray Slub Cardigan (J.Crew Outlet)
Skinny Jeans (Express)
Blue Velveteen Platform Heels (Forever XXI, Plato’s Closet)
Gold Chains Necklace (J.Crew)
Black and Gold Bracelet (Collected at a clothes swap)

Keep the Wardrobe Love questions coming, ladies! Post a comment or write me at daisiesnchains@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, thank you! I feel more confident already.

    ReplyDelete